mobile: (315) 219-9797
email garryaney @ aol.com
In Memory of the Brave Patriots
who suffered and died in the massacre of Andrustown
in this vicinity on July 18,1778
This tablet is erected by the descendants of the seven families forming the first settlement
Bell Crim Frank Hoyer Lepper Osterhout Stauring
Daughters of the American Revolution
Warren, named in honor of General Joseph Warren, who fell at the battle of Bunker Hill, was formed from German Flats, February 5,1796.Columbia was taken off in 1812.It lies centrally on the south boarder of the County. The surface is hilly ,the highest points being from 500 to 800 feet above the Mohawk.
Jordanville, situated a little north of the center, contains two churches, Methodist and Baptist; two stores, a public hall, several mechanic shops and about forth dwellings.
Little Lakes contains a church, a hotel, a store, a carriage shop, several other shops of various kinds and twenty- five dwellings. Near this place is the saw mill and a horse rake factory of W.R. Wall; the mill cuts about 100,000 feet annually and about fifty rakes made for retail trade.
Warren cheese factory makes 90,000 pounds annually.
The cheese Factory at Warren Center, owned by Daniel Tilden, turns out about 100,000 pounds annually.
Wertherbee's Mills are located in the south-west part of the town. The grist mill contains four runs of stones and grinds 50,000 bushels annually; the saw mill cuts about 200,000 feet annually.
In the north-west part of the town is an estate of 1500 acres owned by Mrs. H.D. Cruger , of New York. A masion houes and thirteen tenant houses are on the farm, called the Henderson Home.
Settlements were commenced here previous to the Revolution, by Germans from the upper valley. Andrustown and the Little Lakes were the principal points occupied. Andrustown was plundered and burned by Brant in July, 1778; a part of the inhabitants were killed and others carried into captivity. Youngs Settlement at the Lakes was spared on account of the Tory principles of the proprietor; but the Americans soon after plundered and burned the place in retaliation.
In March,1792, Samuel Cleland, from Colchester, Massachusetts, came into this town and settled with his family. This was the first New England family that immigrated to this place. Mr. Cleland's five sons, Norman, Salmon, Jonas, Martin and Moses, settled here at the same time. Danforth Abbott , Hugh Panell, Amos Allen, Elder Phineas Holcomb, Richard Schooley Hull, Thomas, James and Garret Abeel and Mr. Thayer, were early settlers.
Stephen Luddington kept the first inn, Outhout & Vrooman the first store and Isaac Freeman built the first grist mill, in 1795.
Mr. Cleland settled near Andrustown, and near the ruins of a dwelling he found the bones of a Mr. Bellinger, who escaped to his house when the settlement was burned by the Tories and Indians during the Revolution, and preferred to meet death by burning in his dwelling rather than fall into the hands of the Indians, to suffer captivity, torture and death at their hands, as did many of the early settlers of Herkimer County.
Elder Phineas Holcomb was the first settled minster about 1793. A Baptist Church was organized at Jordanville in 1799; a Methodist Church at Little Lakes in 1854, a Reformed Church in the north part in 1831.
The population of the town in 1865 was 1,611; its area is 23,405 acres.
Copyright © 2023 Town of Warren - All Rights Reserved.